The Phantom comic strip has been advertised and has appeared in newspaper articles worldwide in a myriad of newspapers.
Published in dozens of US newspapers, the Phantom began with a daily strip on the 17th of February 1936, followed by a color Sunday strip on the 28th of May 1939. Both Daily and Sunday Phantom stories are still being published and reprinted today.
Below we see a short list of vintage or unusual Phantom comic strip newspaper advertisements and articles, commencing from 1939.
The numbers coincide with the image/numbers.
- 1. Buy United States Defense Bonds & Stamps
- Mon April 11, 1942 – Big Spring Daily Herald, Texas, USA.
- Wed April 15, 1942 – St. Cloud Times, Minnesota, USA.
- Thurs April 22, 1942 – The Daily InterLake, Montana, USA.
- Wed May 20, 1942 – The Tipton Daily Tribune, USA.
Through comics, Marvel, DC & King Features Syndicate advocated for kids to support the war by buying war bonds or stamps. The sale of War Bonds and War Stamps to children was an important part of the American war effort. Children played a crucial role in supporting the troops from the home front, particularly with the purchase of War Stamps which were only 25c US each. Both private and public schools held ‘War Bond drives’ in order to promote War Stamp sales. Schools would also hold competitions while encouraging students to bring all of their spare change.
- 2. For those who came in Late…
- Sat Jan 26, 1991 – The Age, Melbourne, Australia.
Frew Publications of Australia reaches its 1000th comic book issues.
- 3. Mystery Influences Millions
- Fri Mar 15, 1946 – The Philadelphia Enquierer, USA.
Between 1942 and 1946 Puck ‘The Comic Weekly’ ran multiple 1 page advertisements in various newspapers, with an assortment of King Features Syndicate characters featured on different pages.
- 4. The Scene – In Philadelphia and its Suburbs
- Mon Dec 7, 1987 – Philidelphia Enquireer, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 5. Bring Back ‘The Phantom’
- Fri Dec 4, 1987 – Philadelphia Daily News, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 6. New Adventure!
- Thurs Feb 25, 1950 – Pittsburg Sun-Telegraph, USA.
- 7. Announcements
- Mon March 20, 1950 – The Union County Journal, USA.
- 8. Phantom Joins Daily Comics
- Mon Aug 15, 1977 – The News Observer, North Carolina, USA.
- 9. Meet “The Phantom”
- Thurs Sep 28, 1939 – The Perry County Times, USA.
- 10. The Phantom – he’ll make or break the Pidgin press
- Sat May 28, 1977 – Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney, Australia.
- 11. Marriage: The Phantom’s Ms.-adventure
- Fri Oct 28, 1977 – News Press Florida, USA.
- 12. Hero and Pal
- Thurs March 2, 1944 – The Summer Daily Item Sumter, South Carolina, USA.
- 13. Serial At The Roxy
- Fri July 20, 1945 The Bartley Inter-Ocean, USA.
- 14. Serial At The Rialto
- Fri July 11, 1944 – Kingsport News, Tennessee, USA.
- 15. Gunning For Enemies
- Thur Feb 17, 1944 – The Daily Reporter Martinsville, Indiana, USA.
Thank you Christopher Smith for assisting with images and information.